Thursday, December 15, 2011

Survivor: South Pacific, Ep. 13

When I wrote my last update, I thought I might have been too tough on Brandon. I wasn't. 

In many ways, last night's episode was tough to watch. Games are entertaining as long as they are competitive. No one wants to see the Green Bay Packers demolish a High School team or a kid with Down's Syndrome play Jeopardy.

I said early on that Brandon had no business being on the show - he was way too young, immature and out of control. I still don't know how he passed any sort of psych evaluation to get on the program. It took a while for the train to jump the tracks, but when it did - it did so in spectacular fashion. Frankly, even though it was entertaining, it was also a little bit uncomfortable. 

Back in Fans vs. Favorites, it was fun to watch 10 former players run rings around 10 new-comers. It wasn't Green Bay vs. Glendale High, it was more like the Washington Generals vs. the Harlem Globetrotters. But one episode made me very uncomfortable (Erik was convinced to give up his immunity, and then he was voted out). His decision was so stupid, it was unbearable to watch -  like watching an autistic kid getting tricked out of his lunch money - sickening. Last night sort of approached that feeling for me. I want to see people win making great moves, rather than watch people lose making horrendous mistakes. I'd rather see an awesome game-winning shot than watch Fred Brown pass the ball to James Worthy with two seconds left in the 1982 NCAA Championship.

Those misgivings aside, last night was good television.

I can't understand how Brandon would hug Coach after the vote. I can't believe Coach had the nerve to say "It's God's Will, go win redemption." That is outrageous, and I hope Brandon can see that some day.

I don't know how the jury will interpret yesterday's events, but I would have an impossible time voting for Coach after a move like that. How dare he blame his vote on God's Will? Own your vote - don't blame it on God. I think Albert can recover from last night's episode, but I'm not sure Coach can.

What we had last night was the classic problem with Predestination. It has plagued the Abrahamic faiths since their inception. How do we reconcile the fact that God gave man freewill, yet  God is also omnipotent? If God is omnipotent, isn't any event the result of his Will? Do you see the paradox?

Despite the paradox, I reject Predestination. I think it's horrible and extremely dangerous. It gives people an excuse for poor decisions. It allows people to tolerate and justify the existence of terrible evils (Predestination was used to justify the existence of slavery). Predestination has plagued Southern Protestant denominations for centuries. As you can see, Brandon got caught up in it. Man was given Reason and Free Will by the Creator. I believe in Free Will because I have to ;-). If you don't, you go down the path of Predestination, and it's one heck of a swamp. You're left with that scoundrel, Coach, denying responsibility for his vote, and blaming it on the Will of the Lord.

When Coach is asked about last night's vote in the final tribal, how is he going to answer? How did he know God's Will? Did he hear voices? Is he Joan of Arc now?

Coach has studied. He had a conversation a few episodes ago with Cochran where he was giving the other players names from Greek mythology. Coach doesn't believe in Predestination. He believes in a Chivalric code, and your actions always reflect your character. He pulled this Predestination stuff out to save his butt in a tight spot - because clearly, he and Brandon had some sort of understanding that they were going to the finals together. Coach violated that, and was searching for justifications as to why. Coach did what he did because he had exaggerated Brandon's chances of winning a jury vote
- so he decided his betrayal was God's Will. It makes me want to puke.      

Was Jeff taking sides a little regarding giving the idol back. He asked Albert multiple times. I've never seen him ask that question ever. Granted, swapping the immunity usually occurs AFTER the Q&A and right before the vote, so Jeff usually doesn't have a chance to grill the people. But, still, he seemed to be pushing for Albert to return it (IMO).

If ever Ozzy was vulnerable in a duel, last night was it. It was all puzzles, and Edna had five coaches. Nevertheless, Ozzy keeps cruising. Ozzy needs to win one more duel and two immunities. That is very doable - and I think he'll wipe up a jury vote.

Odds of winning (off the top of my head):
Sophie  33%
Ozzy    22%
Coach  17%
Rick     15%
Albert   10%
Brandon  3%

Enjoy Sunday's episode!

No comments:

Post a Comment