Saturday, May 7, 2011

Survivor: Redemption Island, Ep. 12 - His Will Be Done

I am always amazed when Scripture happens to coincide with a Survivor's best interests. Mike was given the option of rewarding himself, rewarding Matt & Ralph, or giving the reward to Ometepe - and he chose the six people on Ometepe! Why did he do it? Because the Gospels told him to work for the greater good! Mike insisted there was no strategy involved, so all I can say is what luck for Mike that this Biblical advice coincided with his own interests in the game! After all, the only people who can help him, though it's unlikely, is Ometepe!

Was it me, or did it look like Steve wasn't even trying in the Redemption Island duel?
He seemed to have absolutely no energy this episode. I can't say I'm sorry he's gone. He wasn't one of my favorites.

That was one of the most grueling immunity challenges I've ever seen. Rob simply wanted it more, so more power to him. He clearly pushed himself to the limit - though, I thought they milked his post-challenge cramping a little too much. He wasn't going into cardiac arrest. But, I will say one thing: that challenge was the equivalent of running up and down 40 flights of stairs. If you push yourself too hard while out of shape, an endeavor like that can kill you.


It shocks me to say it, but Boston Rob now has to be considered the favorite. It doesn't appear anyone is moving against him, and he still has the hidden immunity. There's probably only going to be three more tribal councils before the Final Tribal. You'd expect him to win at least one more immunity and play the idol at another. So, he doesn't have too many more bullets to dodge. Once in the final tribal, I think he'll have a better chance getting the jury's vote than anyone else (as long as someone from Redemption Island isn't sitting next to him).


The one bit of strategy news to emerge this week is Phillip's revelation that he is purposely antagonizing people so that they take him to the finals. How much of this is true and how much is revisionist history is anyone's guess. My opinion is that there is some truth to it. I believe Phillip occasionally knew he was aggravating people, and didn't curb it, thinking it might help him. But, I still think he's an oddball, and I'd say his behavior is 75% oddball/25% pre-meditated strategy. If his #1 strategy was to tick people off, I think he would have mentioned it earlier. Instead, he mentioned it after finding his swimming trunks. When you have to dig for clothing that has been buried by another tribemate, you are bound to realize just how aggravating you've been - so, most of this is probably revisionist history.  


Can Philip sell his explanation to the jury? It's hard to say. Rob said he's a tad worried about it. Phillip can put sentences together - possibly in ways Grant and Natalie can't. If the jury is looking for a reason NOT to vote for Rob, Phillip's explanation might sell. But, I'd still bet on Rob, even though his performance in the final tribal of All-Stars was atrocious (Lex laid into him, and Rob never recovered).   


Now that he's got a full beard, Grant looks like a Neanderthal. For me, it's weird to watch him talk, because his voice is so gentle. The body and voice don't match. It’s not as disconcerting as Mike Tyson or David Beckham, but there is a disconnect.

Andrea and Matt are going to be back on the same beach. Will it be frosty? My guess is no. Matt will bury the hatchet now that they've both been betrayed.

 
Neither Dave nor Steve has cut his beard. Is it a Zapatera pact?

Two episodes left, and there's no guarantee that the person returning from Redemption Island will come back on Wednesday. They could easily push the return until Sunday. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment